Brookhaven National Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development institution whose purpose is to advance ideas and knowledge through a multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research. Our Legal Office has a full time opportunity for a Chief Intellectual Property Counsel.
The Chief Intellectual Property Counsel directs the activities of the Intellectual Property Legal Support Group within the Office of the General Counsel in all functions relating to identifying, evaluating, reporting and protecting discoveries and inventions developed by or contributed by Laboratory personnel. The group currently consists of a senior patent attorney and a paralegal.
Responsibilities include formulating Laboratory policy relating to intellectual property matters. The Chief Intellectual Property Counsel will oversee and participate in the identification of patentable intellectual property, the development of outside patentability and patent drafting contracts, discussions with inventors, web searches for identifying markets and customers, development of patent scope and preparation of patent applications. They will also oversee the patent prosecution work conducted by outside patent counsel and represent BNL with Patent Office Examiners. Additional responsibilities include providing guidance to management regarding most promising research and developing patent prosecution strategies; and providing legal advice on transactional matters including licensing and sponsored research contracts.
• A Juris Doctorate – JD
• 10 years of progressively responsible legal experience in the field of intellectual property
• Strong managerial and communication skills, particularly writing and negotiating
• Admission to at least one state bar, NY state preferred, and admission to USPTO
• Extensive knowledge and experience in legal matters pertaining to the protection of intellectual property
• Familiarity with the technologies at BNL that lend themselves to patenting
• Government contracting experience preferred
• Must be a U.S. Citizen
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive
employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the
compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is
not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• Retirement Plan
• On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room ,Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, apply online at www.bnl.gov and click Jobs, then click Search Job List and search for job #14802.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer committed to work force diversity.
Employer Type: Other
Job Location: Upton, New York (Long Island)