Ventana Medical Systems, a member of the Roche Group, is seeking a senior patent attorney. Coordinates the Ventana IP activities within one or more business areas. Secure protection for the companys intellectual property and minimize the risk associated with bringing new discoveries and innovation to the marketplace by ensuring respect for the valid intellectual property rights of third parties.
Is a recognized specialist in a complex field of law, provides expert legal services to one or more operating departments as complex legal assignments are completed. This position is for a senior attorney with substantial experience who can demonstrate increasing competence in applying complex legal skills and departmental practices, plus evidence of maturity and judgment to help analyze and solve legal problems and deal with clients and outsiders.
• Responsible for developing and implementing an IP strategy within one or more business areas.
• Act as the primary contact for Ventana IP issues within one or more business areas.
• Prepare, file and prosecute patent applications in the U.S. Patent Office in order to protect the companys investment in research and development.
• Prepare written opinions on issues of patentability, patent infringement, patent validity and freedom-to-operate in order to minimize the business risk associated with bringing new discoveries and innovation to the marketplace.
• Assist product development teams in designing products to avoid the valid patent claims of third parties in order to minimize the business risk associated with bringing new discoveries and innovation to the marketplace.
• Provide general counseling on IP issues to the relevant business area(s) including functional groups such as business management, marketing, research and development and manufacturing.
• Conduct trademark searching and opinions.
• Undergraduate degree in one of the following: life sciences/chemistry/chemical engineering/biotech; advanced degree in the Life Sciences is preferred.
• Doctor of Jurisprudence, licensed to practice law in one or more of the 50 states.
• Licensed to practice law before the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
• At least twelve years experience in IP practice, including patent preparation and prosecution, licensing, trademark practice and client counseling.
• Experience in the patenting of in vitro diagnostic devices or pharmaceuticals.
• Experience with IP litigation matters.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
A demonstrated ability to establish and maintain open, candid and trusting work relationships.
To apply please visit https://careers.ventanamed.com. Vacancy # IRC19598. Ventana is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Tucson, Arizona