and producing fuel cells that generate energy for buildings and for transportation, space and defense
applications seeks an experienced IP Paralegal.
This candidate will perform a variety of functions to support the Intellectual Property Department in developing, maintaining and managing the Intellectual Property portfolio. Responsibilities include:
• Interfacing with various inventors, engineering personnel and business personnel;
• Assisting the IP Department in the filing, prosecution, and maintenance of all patents, trademarks, copyrights and proprietary information. This requires support with (i) preparation and filing of priority US, PCT and foreign patent applications and all necessary documents and correspondence associated with the filing of such applications, (ii) administration of the patent docketing system Foundation IP (FIP, Invention Disclosure system/database) for the Business Unit, and create/run reports related to invention disclosures, patent applications and patents, (iii) tracking and managing timely payment of maintenance fees for all patents and trademarks, (iv) acting as Administrator of the corporate legal matter management system, and entering all new matters and costs associated with legal services provided to the IP Department, and (v) processing invoices for payment to outside counsel for services rendered to the Business Uni;
• Documentation of Patent Committee agenda/minutes;
• Assisting in IP Maturity process for products and technology;
• Supporting efforts in analyzing competitor patent portfolios and technology. Support of key program reports for inventions and customer interface is also included, as is providing FIP training to the inventors.
The IP Paralegal will also manage nondisclosure agreements and government contracts reporting related to IP for the Business Unit. NDA responsibilities include drafting nondisclosure agreements and administering the NDA process and database, all in accordance with UTC standard procedures and policies to support Business Unit needs. Government contract reporting for IP includes tracking government contracts, reporting invention disclosures, patent applications and issued patents under government contracts.
Paralegal Certificate from an ABA approved paralegal training program, or an Associates Degree from an accredited institution in a related field of study. A Bachelor’s degree is a plus.
Successful candidate should have 2 to 4+ years of intellectual property experience, and knowledge of the rules of patent practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office, foreign patent offices, and WIPO. Candidate should possess current knowledge of government contracting concepts; the ability to analyze, interpret and apply various governmental regulations, including the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR). Outstanding interpersonal skills with a capacity to work with associates to uncover relevant details in a variety of technologies and business relationships are essential. Candidate must possess strong leadership, along with excellent written and verbal communication skills. Candidate should be comfortable in managing computer data bases and learning the Foundation IP invention disclosure system.
This position requires a U.S. Person – U.S. Citizen, Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card Holder. United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Apply online by visiting this link: http://www.utcpower.com/contact/careers.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: South Windsor, Connecticut