Hewlett-Packard Company has an opening for a Patent Counsel. This
position provides the right candidate an exciting opportunity to work with a
dynamic team of professionals in one of the world’s premier high technology
companies. This position will be based in one of the following HP locations:
• Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
• Downers Grove, Illinois
• Herndon, Virginia
• Houston, Texas
• Plano, Texas
About the Job
This position is in the Patent Development Group of the Office of the General Counsel. The successful candidate’s responsibilities are expected to include the following:
• Preparing and prosecuting strategic, high quality patent applications protecting HP’s products and services
• Working closely with HP scientists and engineers to identify and protect inventions that are important to HP across a wide range of technologies
• Actively participating in HP’s invention disclosure review process to help ensure that HP’s best inventions are identified and patented
• Participating from time to time as a member of a cross functional team to provide support in licensing, litigation, or other matters
Travel is in accordance with business needs and should be less than 5% of the time, most typically to other HP locations in the US.
About the Candidate:
The successful candidate is expected to possess the following qualifications:
• Admission to the USPTO
• A BS degree and/or advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, or Computer Science
• Excellent written and spoken English
• A JD degree from an accredited university, and admission to a state bar
• 1-6 years experience as a patent attorney
• Strong academic credentials
• Ability to work with clients in a team-oriented partnership to help them arrive at elegant solutions to their problems
• Flexibility to accept new and different challenges in a fast paced, high tech environment
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
• A positive attitude, creative spirit, and self-motivated work ethic
Apply via HP’s website at http://www.jobs.hp.com (Search for "Patent Counsel"). Please attach a copy of your resume and a recent relevant writing sample, such as a published patent application or granted patent that you personally prepared.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Locations: Multiple Locations (see above)
HP is an innovative, dynamic company with a rich past and a promising future. Started in a Palo Alto garage by Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard as a company that made audio frequency oscillators, HP has continuously reinvented itself. Today, HP is the world's largest technology company, provides printing and personal computing products and IT services, software and solutions that simplify the technology experience for consumers and businesses. HP is a $120+ Billion/year company with over 300,000 employees. HP had over 1,350 U.S. patents granted in 2011.
Hewlett-Packard has an impressive benefits package. HP’s total compensation package is competitive and is commensurate with experience. Hewlett-Packard Company is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to affirmative action and work force diversity.