The role of a Patent Engineer (PE) is to be a catalyst for idea generation, evaluate said ideas to find candidates for patent protection, and to interact with US patent consultants for drafting and prosecution of patent applications. In addition, the PE will build up a competitive patent portfolio and monitor competitor patents using database systems.
Working with corporate Patent Manager as a part of a small global team, the PE will:
• Assume the primary responsibility for Research and Development patents arising from Elekta’s US sites, which are predominately involved in Software Engineering.
• Promote and develop patenting and management of new applications.
• Operate searches for new technical developments
• Monitor and analyze patent applications for technical trends, potential infringements and license opportunities in addition to managing the existing portfolio.
• Other duties may be assigned.
• Advanced degree in a scientific or engineering discipline (MS or PhD) and 3-5 years of related professional experience is required. A PhD is strongly preferred.
• Patent experience is required. Patent experience in the software industry is STRONGLY preferred.
• Professional engineers with related background (academia or industry) will be considered. Legal qualifications are not required for this opportunity.
• Must be personable, approachable, self-driven and able to encourage idea generation.
• Must have excellent organizational skills and an eye for details.
• Must possess the ability to quickly understand advanced technical inventions, even in areas where one might not have much experience.
• Must have a strong understanding of the English language, as the job will involve reading and extracting the inventive features from patent publications.
• Must have a broad technical understanding as products involve complex technology in the areas of mechanical, software, electronics and/or radiation physics.
• Domestic and International Travel will be required for this position.
Apply online by visiting this link: https://uscareers-elekta.icims.com/jobs/2424/job?mode=apply&iis=patently-o.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Elekta develops sophisticated, state-of-the-art tools and treatment planning systems for radiation therapy and radiosurgery, as well as workflow enhancing software systems across the spectrum of cancer care. Our clinical solutions and information systems are used in over 5,000 hospitals globally and every day more than 100,000 patients receive diagnosis, treatment of follow-up with the help of an Elekta product.