Gilead Sciences is seeking a Corporate Counsel II — Patent Preparation & Prosecution to work in its Foster City, California headquarters. This position will report to a senior patent attorney of the Intellectual Property department and will be responsible for a relatively heavy patent docket with primary responsibilities of drafting and prosecuting global patent portfolios for inventions relating to anti-virals for HIV. Responsibilities also include working closely with R&D to monitor the progress of Gilead's in-house research, evaluating freedom to operate, advising research groups on patentability, reviewing third party patent rights, and considering regulatory matters relating to pharmaceuticals.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of IP issues in a growth-oriented pharmaceutical company. The successful candidate should be able to independently identify legal and other issues potentially impacting the business. The ability to counsel research and business colleagues by providing clear advice is essential. The successful candidate is also expected to develop expertise in specific areas of the law and contribute effectively to legal and cross functional projects.
• Collaborate with outside counsel handling patent prosecution matters.
• Develop and maintain a detailed understanding of products and technical developments through relationships within Gilead
• Conduct freedom-to-operate reviews
• Review and assist in drafting nondisclosure, research, license and other agreements involving the use, transfer, or ownership of IP
• Frequently interacts with other functions to optimize collaboration between legal and other functions.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
• Bachelors degree in chemistry, or a chemistry-related subject such as medicinal chemistry. A Ph.D. or M.Sc in chemistry, or a chemistry-related subject, is a plus. Other academics will be considered.
• Juris Doctorate, admitted to at least one State Bar, preferably California, with at least 5 years experience drafting and preparing pharmaceutical patent applications.
• Registered before the USPTO.
• Experience in related industries will be considered if the candidate can demonstrate knowledge of chemistry.
• This position requires demonstration of Gilead’s core values: Teamwork, Accountability, Excellence and Integrity.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are necessary, including the ability to fluently speak, write and understand English. The ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with others and the ability to work well with a variety of different personalities is absolutely critical to be successful in this position.
• The successful candidate will be given considerable responsibility, and the ability to work independently is essential.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment is essential. Willingness to take initiative and be proactive; good people skills are a must.
• Works collaboratively with other members of legal department as well as internal client departments.
• Sets appropriate priorities with clients and delivers results within the established timelines.
• Contributes to multidisciplinary and/or cross-functional projects and take responsibility for legal aspects of complex to moderately complex projects within the IP Legal team.
• Develops solutions and solve problems with ongoing input and oversight from more senior members of the IP Legal team.
• Demonstrate good judgment for completing assigned projects and for providing patent legal advice in an efficient and accurate manner.
• The candidate must be proficient in MS Office-based applications. The ability to conduct computer-based prior art searches, and patent family searches, is a plus.
• Travel Requirements: occasional business trips within the U.S. or abroad may be required. While occasional, reasonable requests for telecommuting will be accommodated, a regular out-of-office telecommute schedule is not Gilead’s policy and is not a viable option for this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Apply online today by visiting this link: https://www.gilead.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=11338&CurrentPage=1.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Foster City, California
Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide. Headquartered in Foster City, California, Gilead has operations in North America, Europe, Asia and Australia.