The lawyer filling this position will provide legal counsel to Cargill, Incorporated and its affiliates as an in-house lawyer, and will be a part of the Cargill Law Department's Intellectual Property Team. This lawyer will work closely with various Cargill businesses and its R&D Function. This lawyer will also work collaboratively with other Cargill lawyers and paralegal who provide legal counsel to Cargill worldwide as part of a multidisciplinary team.
• Preparing and prosecuting patent applications, developing disclosures, and counseling inventors with a commercial focus;
• Coordinating patent activities generally, including various business unit intellectual property review team meetings, providing patentability and infringement opinions, and developing patent strategies;
• Developing, coordinating and providing training for key employees on intellectual property matters;
• Providing legal counseling to Cargill's businesses, including due diligence and the preparation and negotiation of various agreements relating to acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, technology licenses, research and development agreements, confidentiality agreements and other transactional matters; and
• Providing legal counseling and support related to pre-litigation evaluations and on-going litigation matters as they may arise.
• License to practice law in Minnesota (or if currently licensed in another state the ability to become licensed in Minnesota), and registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, are required.
• 1 to 3 years of experience as a patent lawyer is required, including significant experience drafting priority patent applications and preparing substantive office action responses.
• Bachelors of Science in chemical, biochemical, food technology, chemical engineering or biological arts is required (advanced degree or comparable work experience is helpful).
• Agreement and/or opinion experience is preferred.
• Excellent academic track record (top 25% of law school class strongly preferred).
• Strong strategic and commercial conceptual strength.
• Creative, resilient, and flexible style and approach to solving legal problems.
• Demonstrated ability to have a broad perspective and approach work with curiosity
• Ability and desire to work with diverse teams in meeting corporate goals and missions.
• Excellent communication, advocacy, and drafting skills.
Cargill is an EEO/AA employer
Apply online at: www.cargill.com/careers by searching for Patent Lawyer-WAY04109.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Wayzata, Minnesota
Cargill is a unique place to grow your career, your experience and your abilities. Every day, we grow our reputation as a leading international producer of food, agricultural, financial and industrial products and services. We take pride in our global reach, ability to contribute, and strong work ethics and values. Founded in 1865, Cargill is a privately held company and employs 142,000 people in 65 countries with annual revenues in excess of $133.9 billion. Through innovation, creativity and teamwork, we are transforming entire markets and people’s lives worldwide, and we can have the same impact on your career. Discover how we can be Better Together at www.cargill.com.