Due to continued domestic and international growth, Valspar is seeking a Trademark,
Copyright and Software Licensing Attorney to support our expanding legal needs.
Located at our corporate headquarters in downtown Minneapolis and reporting to
the Chief Intellectual Property Counsel, you will:
• Manage global trademark activity across all segments of Valspar’s businesses including:
o Developing and implementing global trade mark strategy;
o Performing trademark prosecution and renewal activities;
o Performing trademark clearance searches and opinions; and
o Preparing written opinions, including freedom-to-operate opinions, in order to minimize the business risk associated with bringing new marks to the marketplace.
• Oversee all copyright law activity for the corporation.
• Oversee all advertising law activity for the corporation.
• Manage Valspar’s software licensing agreements, audits and disputes, working in conjunction with the corporate IT organization.
• Oversee global domain name registration, dispute resolution and enforcement including:
o Acquiring necessary domains;
o Handling UDRP dispute resolution matters;
o Negotiating acquisitions of third-party URLs; and
o Establishing take down notice policies, processes and related matters.
• Provide general counseling on TM, ©, advertising law and licensing issues and maintain corporate policies related to such legal matters
As the qualified candidate, you will:
• Have attained your Juris Doctorate and be licensed to practice law in one or more of the 50 United States;
• Have recently graduated or have upwards of five years legal experience (preferably in IP practice, including trade mark prosecution, opinion work, licensing, and client counseling);
• Demonstrate excellent legal, analytical, writing and computer skills;
• Be organized, creative, detail oriented, capable of working under pressure and on multiple tasks;
• Demonstrate project management skills and show an ability to meet deadlines as required;
• Demonstrate strong self-initiative, sense of urgency and customer relationship building skills;
• Be enthusiastic with ability to engender client trust and confidence;
• Have the ability to take a reasoned position and defend it in the face of opposition;
• Have excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills;
• Have a collaborative work style, with a strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility and partner with internal customers and co-workers;
• Be able to present information clearly and concisely; and
• Be proficient in Microsoft applications (e.g., Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
Apply online by visiting this link: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=VALSPAR&cws=1&rid=1016.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota