These individuals will be responsible to increase patent filling for the lines of business (LOBs) and functional groups for which they have responsibility. The IP Manager will work with senior business leaders and product/process innovators to identify patent (and licensing) opportunities in the ideation stages of product and project formation. The IP Manager will conduct time-sensitive as well as ongoing research and scanning of the IP and competitive landscape in technology and market spaces which are priorities for his/her LOBs. The IP Manager will engage with LOB leadership and with Law Department colleagues to develop strategies which preserve freedom to operate and promote innovation. The IP Manager will also train partners in the LOB who will become IP champions within their groups.
• Engage regularly with LOB counterparts to know LOB priorities for business improvements and new initiatives. Understand LOB reliance on key vendors and how IP for product and process improvements can generate value for Wells Fargo. (IP Manager may serve multiple LOBs, and/or have responsibilities which cross LOB lines)
• Educate LOB and other colleagues on Enterprise Patent Office resources and processes;
• Research the IP landscape for those areas which are priorities for the LOB. Learn and master data base research tools, including monitoring alerts of new patent filings, and patent issuance. Research is both proactive and reactive. Synthesize and present findings effectively;
• Write invention disclosures which will be generated and refined with the input of LOB or technology experts;
• Promote innovation through recognition activities for LOB colleagues who submit invention disclosures, and by creating linkages across LOBs and with other innovation efforts in the Company. Conduct facilitated sessions as needed to generate and harvest ideas for potential patents;
• Bring patent acquisition and licensing opportunities to the attention of LOB leadership. Lead the analysis of the quality and potential value of the patents or licensing opportunities. Coordinate negotiations with the LOB and Legal, and lead negotiations if appropriate;
• Coordinate with LOBs, Legal Department, and other partners to respond to assertions of infringement by third-parties;
• Produce monthly and quarterly progress reports which reflect the status and changes in patent and innovation activity;
• 8+ years strategic planning experience.
• Demonstrated experience with workflows, technology, market trends and customer behavior;
• Proven examples of earning credibility, being collaborative and influencing decisions with senior business leaders, technology partners, product managers and legal colleagues;
• Track record and examples of making recommendations that were successfully implemented;
• Demonstrated understanding of technology as it relates to computer architecture diagrams and functional specifications;
• 8+ years demonstrated success with program and process management. This includes enterprise focused initiatives;
• Demonstrated experience developing, coordinating and implementing strategic responses and solutions to enterprise requirements. This includes experience researching pro s and con s in order to develop a recommendation for licensing and or contract strategies;
• Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills. This includes the ability to effectively question assumptions, identify root causes and recommend systemic solutions. Ability to see the big picture and solve for complex enterprise business issues, but still be in the details
• Demonstrated relationship building with the ability to communicate business objectives and influence on strategy and opportunities.
• Demonstrated track record and confidence to meet critical milestones and commitments under pressure
• Demonstrated effective communication and facilitation skills
• Demonstrated understanding of financial services products
• Specific understanding or experience with Wells Fargo products and services for one or more Lines of Business
• Demonstrated knowledge of patent and license process (filing, defending, etc). This would include process, business and/or technology patents.
• Demonstrated deep understanding or experience with negotiating licenses or contracts.
• Bachelors and or Masters degree in a related technical and/or business domain
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Apply online by visiting this link: www.wellsfargo.com/careers.
Employer Type: Large Corporation
Job Location: Manager may be open to other locations within the domestic United States based on applicant experience.