According to a press release, the PTO issued the first patent reviewed under its 'accelerated examination' program that began last fall. The patent, issued to Brother Kogyo Kabushiki Kaisha of Nagoya, Japan was filed on September 29, 2006 and issued less than six-months later as US Patent No. 7,188,939 (Ink Cartridges). The prosecution history includes an examiner interview via telephone followed by a clarifying amendment and a notice of allowance.
Accelerated examination procedures have been labeled onerous. Yet, in this case the Japanese ink-powerhouse appears to have used the procedure for its advantage.
- Download accelerated_examination_prosecution_history.pdf;
- Accelerated Examination Guidelines;
- Patently-O on Accelerated Exam;
- Russ Krajec will not be filing for accelerated examination: here;
- Expected delay until first office action.